Monday 14 May 2012

Last week on the plot

Some form of witchcraft had occurred and the sky had changed colour for the first time in a month. I was so giddy I didnt know what to do first!


Obv running down to the allotment was top of the list


and with the main crop spuds going in a month later than planned that was the first job of the day
A row of Kestrel and Rooster went in. Neither of which I've grown before.

The blue lake French beans I started a weeks ago and which have been hardening off in the garden for the past 2 weeks were desperate to get in the ground. However, this called for desperate things such as lashing and tying knots, which given my girl guide time I should have been a lot better at, but maybe the scouts got too much of my attention!



Was also given some stringless runner beans, which I'm not overly convinced about, but I'll give them a go, and if nothing else will add nitrogen to the soil. I'm kinda hoping that as they look a bit like Jack's beans that they grow into the sky and I get me a golden goose (might be mixing fairy tales now)


Last year, if you recall, or maybe I didnt write about it, but anyway, my cauliflowers did look vaguely like this
However, I forgot to net them sufficiently and the flippin pigeons had them stripped to stalks within minutes.

I forgot to take a photo but they are all under the green net tunnels so can hopefully get to a really good size unscathed.

The asparagus that I moved last year (either 8 or 10 crowns, I forget) is doing well and is producing some much nicer spears that it was doing in the old location. I'm not going to harvest anything off them this year to give the plants a good time to establish. Next year though there should be a really good crop, and the bed should then work for about 20 years or so!
(I have weeded since this photo was taken)

This spot nearest the shed I am going to turn into a semi-permanent salad bed. I'm planning on planting through the weed membrane with chilli's and peppers in a month or so and also making a wind break out of the plastic bottle's I've been saving for ever! We'll see how it works out. I'm pleased with how its turning out, and I just need to construct a few more beds.

I was given a crab apple tree, which probably need moving as I think it maybe a bit close to the boundary of my neighbours plot. Will reassess when I'm next down there. Its only on a small plug root at the moment, so moving wont be an issue.

Also sown (but not photographed) another 3 or 4 rows of carrots, and 2 rows of beetroot, and a row of spring onions.


These are 2 varieties of swede. I've not had any luck growing them straight in the ground before so thought I'd try and experiment germinating on kitchen paper and then transferring to cardboard tubes to grow on before planting out like I did with the parsnips. Speaking of which they are looking fab.


There is so much ready in one of the greenhouses to move either into bigger pots or to plant out, but the weather could do with warming just a little bit more, and there have been rumours of frost at the weekend which wont do most of them any good.

Busy and productive couple of days. Have harvested lots of purple sprouting broccoli, rhubarb and leeks this week

No comments:

Post a Comment